Sunday, May 23, 2010

1st Night on the Roost



Mother Hen decided last night was the night to finally establish her position in the flock. I don't know how she did it, but she herded those three little chicks all the way to the top of the roost. She wouldn't allow another hen on the roost with them. The top roost was her roost. Tonight, however, was a different story. The Amerighana hen, Dolly, went to the far end of the top roost and gingerly sprang up to take her place. I have watched her with the other Samatran hen, Francine, and have thought she may become the alpha hen. Time will tell, but they are funny as all get out to watch. When they were all on the roost, it was Freckles (Mother Hen) and her three chicks, Daisy (the Amerighana) and Daphene (The Rhode Island Red) on the top roost, Francine (2nd Samatran Hen) on the 2nd roost and poor Daisy (the White Leghorn) on the bottom roost.




I know people passing by on the back street who see me with my camera by the chicken house must think I'm some kind of fruit cake!

We had a great visit with my sister, Yvonne and her husband, David. I felt so bad yesterday, though, we came home early just because I wanted to be home. I felt much better today. Tomorrow starts a whole new week of the radiation treatments.

Later,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment