Friday, January 22, 2010

Port Procedure

Cary and I arrived at Shands shortly before 8 a.m. I was quickly taken to the holding room, given a gown to wear, and an IV was placed in my right hand. We waited and waited. Finally a very nice male nurse came and took me over to the new cancer center at about 10:30 a.m. I was awake during the entire procedure.

Cary wasn't allowed in the recovery room where I stayed a couple of hours after the port placement. We finally left about 2:30 p.m. We had been told it was a 2 to 4 hour visit to the hospital. So much for scheduling.

I am very sore, especially around the puncture wound into the large vein. Oddly, I was told not to get the site wet for 5 to 7 days and to keep the bandage on. After my breast was removed, I was told to bathe the next day!

I was able to make it to my book club meeting at 3 p.m. and Cary had a wonderful meal prepared when I got home - meat loaf, turnip greens and baked sweet potatoes. I had not eaten all day except for several saltine crackers and a sierra mist they brought me in recovery.

So, I'm through another milestone. I will be glad when it is healed. This will put my physical therapy on hold for a few days and I was just beginning to make some real progress. Two steps forward, one back. What was the name of that game we played as children? "Mother May I?"

My big news this week is that Katie found out she is having a girl. Her name is Linda Grace!

Linda Gail


  1. Ya know? So many folks might say that Katie and Lee's baby's name is going to be Linda Grace. But you said her name IS Linda Grace. Very good. It's not a gonna be a child; it is a child!

  2. Well, we do agree on something! How about that? The whole idea of naming a baby before it is born is to call the child by it's name and begin the welcoming process into this ole world.

  3. Ohhhh, how lovely! A sweet little Linda Grace. I know everyone is thrilled.
    We all played Mother May I. I will give you my 3 steps forward.
    Love you,