Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day

Cary and I had a quiet day today with our grand daughters, Ana and Olivia. Cary cooked the traditional New Year's dinner (black eyed peas with hog jowl) and I baked a sweet potato pie. We just finished the last of the eggnog. The girls have gone home to stay with their Dad.

It has gotten cool enough to light a fire again in the wood stove. I think about all the blessings I enjoy and I'm truly thankful. The girls have been a pleasure. Olivia is at that loving stage where kisses and "I love you" are liberally sprinkled through the day. I love lying down with her at night to read a story and listen as her breathing slows and she falls asleep. Ana is becoming a young lady, helping clean up after meals and being more responsible.

Thinking back on past new years, I remember when Mother and Daddy always came out to share the day with us. Then, after Daddy passed away and Mother became a resident at Ayers, we invited friends to come share the day with us. I have always loved New Year's Day because the stress of the holidays is behind me and New Year's Day is low key and relaxing, yet promising a fresh beginning.

I'm not making any resolutions this year. I'm just pledging myself to be the best person I can be all year, which is what I ought to be doing anyway!

Love to all,
Linda Gail

1 comment:

  1. Our pastor suggested that we can make new year's resolutions and then give them up for Lent! What a riot.

    ReplyDelete