Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pre-op appointments

Cary and I started today by being at Shands by 9:30 a.m. The first part of the day went very well, lab work, ekg, interview with anesthesiologist, chest x-ray, etc.

The afternoon appointment was with the nuclear medicine department. They injected a radio active dye near the biopsy site and started taking pictures of it to see where the sentinel node is. The dye didn't move so I was asked to do some exercises, rubbing the tissue, etc. It still wouldn't move into place. Finally, at about 4:30 p.m. I was told I would have to report to Shands at 7:30 a.m. in the morning to have it checked again before surgery. Still no time scheduled for the surgery.

So, my specific prayer request tonight is that the dye find it's way to the sentinel node in order for Dr. Grobmyer and his team to find it easily. The plan is that during surgery the sentinel node will be biopsied and tested while I am still under. If the cancer has made it to the sentinel node, then they will remove that node and possibly others.

A friend of mine sent me the following message tonight. I find the image very comforting and will hold it in my mind as I fall to sleep. She said,

"I use images to help send my hopes and wishes to people whom I care about when they are in need of a little support.

My image for you is a glorious angel with flashing eyes and a big sword. Yes, a sword, because this is no wimpy little cherub. This angel is a force to be reckoned with, a guardian worthy of a beautiful petite woman who has more power and determination and will than most linebackers. This is an angel who states, calmly and with clarity… “CANCER FEARS ME!”


Another friend sent me a note saying she felt the 91st Psalm was written for me. Actually many of the passages in Psalm 91 refer directly to Christ, even so, if we be in Christ, we are one with Him, so I believe this Psalm certainly applies to me and all those found in Christ. I had circled the first verse some time previously. I shared this on face book, so please overlook me repeating it. Vs. 1 "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." Dwelling in His shadow most assuredly means that He is covering me! This image also will be with me as I go to sleep tonight and tomorrow before surgery.

Well, it's a little glass of red wine and early to bed for me tonight. Hopefully Lindy or Katie will be able to post something tomorrow night.

Love to all.
Linda Gail

1 comment:

  1. I love it. Cancer fears me! What a mighty God we serve, angels bow before Him, Heaven and Earth adore Him, What a mighty God we serve! (Yes, I stole the song lyrics)
    I also love that you can sleep on such a night as this. I have so much to learn from you, Mom. I think I would give it up and watch movies all night or something. I'm hardly ever able to sleep when something big is happening the next day. It would take more than a glass of wine to put me down. :)

    ReplyDelete