Tuesday, December 1, 2009I have just talked with Dr. Grobmyer. He has talked with the radiologist who did my MRI yesterday. The right breast is not involved. His recommendation was to go ahead with the primary surgery which is to remove my left breast. I was considering having reconstruction done at the same time as the mastectomy, and was in a real state of agitation trying to decide whether that was the right thing to do and what type of reconstruction should I have, etc. etc. I was reading Dr.Susan Love's Breast Book and thinking none of the options appealed to me.
Dr. G does these surgeries all the time. He knows what he is doing. I believe when you have an expert on something you must allow that expert to guide you through the process. One good thing about not having any reconstruction done is that it will give me time to decide whether I really want it or not. The methods I would consider for reconstruction would involve taking tissue from my back or abdomen which would weaken either of them. I have worked awfully hard to build up my core strength and don't want to compromise that.
So...my surgery date is a week from Thursday, December 10th. I do plan to talk to the plastic surgeon just for my own information, but I am going ahead with the surgery as planned.